About the Process
FGI’s Guidelines for Design and Construction documents are updated every four years through a consensus process that includes public input.
Steps in the revision process include:
- The public is invited to submit proposed changes to the current Guidelines text.
- The Health Guidelines Revision Committee (HGRC) reviews public proposals as well as proposals prepared by HGRC members and subcommittees.
- The HGRC votes whether to accept or reject proposals, or accept them with modification.
- Drafts of the next edition of the FGI Guidelines are prepared and posted on the FGI website for public review.
- The public is invited to submit comments on the recommended changes that have resulted from proposals accepted by the HGRC.
- The HGRC considers comments on the draft documents and finalizes the content for the next edition.
- A final manuscript is reviewed by the HGRC and submitted to the Steering Committee for final approval.
- The next edition of the Guidelines is published.
Find out more details about the 2018 Revision Cycle.
In the development of the 2018 Hospital Guidelines, the Hospital Document Group took a good hard look at the previous document to review, validate, or eliminate language to assure the new document accurately reflects our understanding of what minimum standards are.