Interpretations of the FGI Guidelines
A major function of FGI is to provide a forum for obtaining interpretations of the Guidelines text. Since the interpretations process was formalized in 1999, numerous formal interpretations have been processed and advisory opinions and guidance have been issued to many more inquirers. This process gives designers, owners, and authorities having jurisdiction the opportunity to seek wisdom from HGRC members responsible for developing the document regarding language that may be ambiguous or conflict with other sections of the document.
To ask a question:
- Please read rules for requesting an interpretation.
- Request a formal interpretation.
- Request an advisory opinion through our Contact page.
Read published interpretations for the following editions:
- Formal interpretations of the 2001 Guidelines
- Formal interpretations of the 2006 Guidelines (updated 9/19/08)
- Formal interpretations of the 2010 Guidelines (updated 7/29/11)
Read published interpretations for ANSI/ASHRAE/ASHE 170-2008: Ventilation of Health Care Facilities, which has been incorporated into the 2010 edition of the FGI Guidelines:
- Interpretation IC 170-2008-1: Airborne infection isolation (AII) room pressure requirements
- Interpretation IC 170-2008-2: Operating room diffuser arrays
The online interpretation form is best viewed with Adobe Reader X. Download it now.