The 2010 Edition of the FGI Guidelines
For information about how the FGI Guidelines is developed, click "Revisions" in the bar above. For a history of the Guidelines document, read the Preface to the 2010 edition. For broad information about changes and new material in the 2010 edition, see the press release announcing publication. For detailed information about changes and new material, download the Major Additions and Revisions essay below.
An errata sheet with corrections to the 2010 edition, including corrected cross-references, is available; it will be updated as necessary. (Last updated: May 17, 2013)
Addenda to ASHRAE 170: Ventilation of Health Care Facilities
The 2008 edition of ANSI/ASHRAE/ASHE 170 was incorporated into the 2010 edition of the FGI Guidelines. ASHRAE has placed Standard 170 under its continuous maintenance process, which means adjustments can be made to it between publication dates. These changes go through the same rigorous review process as the originally published material, and it is the intention of the Health Guidelines Revision Committee that these addenda be considered a part of the 2010 FGI Guidelines. Addenda that have received final approval and are posted on the ASHRAE website are reposted here for your convenience:
- Addendum a: Design temperature for NICU, and other changes
- Addendum b: Design parameters for intermediate care, and other changes
- Addendum d: Humidity levels in short-stay patient areas, including operating rooms
- Addendum e: Meaning of "occupied space" and other changes
- Addendum f: Requirements for AII and PE rooms and a combined AII/PE room
- Addendum g: Application of ventilation diffusers
- Addendum h: Use of recirculating HVAC units
- Addenda j, q, and t: Filtration requirements for nursing homes; amendments to text on outdoor air intakes, etc.; and update to Guidelines publisher information
- Addenda k, n, and v: Energy recovery requirements, outside air quantity calculation methods, and minimum relative humidity requirements for recovery rooms
- Addendum l: Airflow requirements for cesarean delivery rooms and operating rooms; ventilation requirements for dialysis treatment area and reprocessing room and for nuclear medicine treatment room and hot lab
- Addendum m: Clarification of requirement for fully ducted exhaust systems rather than fully ducted return systems for some negative pressure spaces; requirement for fully ducted systems added to four spaces
- Addendum p: Requirements for nourishment stations
- Addendum r: Changes to clarify the 170 text and coordinate it with the 2010 FGI Guidelines
- Addendum s: Further changes to clarify the 170 text and coordinate with the 2010 FGI Guidelines
How to Order the 2010 FGI Guidelines
The 2010 FGI Guidelines is available in three convenient formats; each format is sold for the same price—$168. Shipping costs are shown on the order form (link below). The distributor can answer questions about placing an order and shipping fees; call the 800 number shown below.
There are three ways to order the 2010 FGI Guidelines document (please be sure to use the catalog number when ordering). The CD comes with a single-user license; for information about how the CD can be used, please read the user license. For further explanation, read additional information on the FAQs (frequently asked questions) page.
1. The order form can also be used to fax an order to the distributor.
2. Information for placing a foreign order can be found on the order form.
A Read-Only Copy
The Facility Guidelines Institute has made available a read-only copy of the current edition of the Guidelines. Created using RealRead® technology, this copy of the 2010 edition cannot be downloaded or printed; however, it is searchable.